I was watching Jamie Oliver yesterday. Wow, he uses a lot of olive oil. There has been lots of talk about transfats and how the destabilisation of oil under high heat can produce it even from the health giving olive oil. Well here is an alternative. Check out some of the health benefits from coconut oil. This information comes from Dr Mercola, a reliable source in my opinion.
Health Benefits of coconut oil
As unbelievable as it sounds, the oil in coconuts has been found to aid the body in destroying dozens of harmful viruses including hepatitis C, herpes, and HIV. Coconut oil has been called the healthiest dietary oil on earth. If you’re not using coconut oil for your daily cooking and amazing health products.
• It protects the body from viral, bacterial or protozoal infections that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and other diseases. Lauric acid in coconut oil kills fungi and yeasts that cause candidiasis (white),ringworm athlete’s foot, diaper rash, and other infections
• Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including fat soluble vitamins, minerals especially calcium and magnesium and amino acids. It relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body. It improve the body’s use of blood glucose and improve insulin secretion and absorption (great for type II diabetes).
• Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers.
• Supports tissue healing and repair. Supports and aids immune system function and helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers.
• Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease. Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease. Does not deplete the body’s antioxidant reserves like other oils do.
• Supports thyroid function. Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats.
• Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection. Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots. Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion. Helps control dandruff
• Cooking with coconut oil not form harmful by-products (Trans fat and rancidity) when heated to normal cooking temperature like other vegetable oils do.
• Coconut oil helps in controlling blood sugar, and improves the secretion of insulin. It also helps in effective utilization of blood glucose, thereby preventing and treating diabetes.