As I hear asked over and over again, what are the fat loss methods that work??? Here at Best Practice Personal Training in Bowen Hills, we specialise in combining behavioural change with the most well researched training methods. You can have a look at our services on our website at www.bestpracticept.com.au.
When it comes to fat loss methods that actually work, different approaches can work for different people. In saying that, the top 5 things to do if you really want to start losing body fat now and then manage it for the rest of your life are as follows:
- Get your head right: Science has now proven that what you think on a regular basis directly affects your actions. It is no longer a cute coffee cup platitude to say “so as doth think, thou wilt be”. By implementing goal setting (i.e. writing it down and practicing positive thinking) you are carving a new groove of thinking which will lead to the new (desired) action.
- You absolutely must do strength training. There is no escaping this fact. If you do not lift weights you will lose 2-4 kg of muscle mass per decade meaning that your ability to burn energy will diminish. This essentially means the older you get, the fatter you get. Keep in mind that it doesn’t have to be that way at all. Build muscle and burn body fat. It’s that simple.
- You have to move more on a regular basis. You burn calories by being active, but you can burn more calories if you are fitter because you exercise longer. The World Health Organisation suggests to perform a large muscle group activity, like cycling or fast walking, at least 3 times per week for 20 minutes at a time at any intensity of up to 70-85% of your heart’s maximum. To work out 70-85% of your heart’s maximum, a rough guide is 220 – your age. This answer will be in beats per minute.
- What goes in your mouth matters…BIG TIME. Eat more fruit and vegetables – this is a no brainer and is a point I can say with absolute confidence. As for specifics, you should seek advice from a nutritional expert or registered dietitian. Generally, you should try to avoid overeating simple carbohydrates, saturated and trans fats. You should try to include more fibre, high quality protein and healthy fats in your daily diet.
- Ask for help. It is definitely possible to do it on your own, but investing in professional help can put you on the fast track and save years of wasted time and effort.
Keep these 5 things in mind working on implementing them into your daily life and you’ll be on the path to success!