This is the most important meal of the day and usually the meal which gets skipped the most. I personally can not think of a worse start to your day than missing this meal simply because you are ‘not hungry’ or you ‘run out of time’. The effects it has on slowing down your metabolism and providing you with no energy to get you through the morning is a disastrous thought. Below we have a look at ways around this and what is the best foods to eat first thing in the morning.
With every meal we try to get some protein so cocopops and milk is not suffice to get our day started. Here are a few.
- Mince on Toast(preferably multigrain or soy and linseed – see last weeks bread article)
- Best Practice Breakfast – Boiled egg, toast, salmon, rocket, diced tomato, avocado and a sprinkle of cheese on top (great for the weekend when you have a little more time)
- Bircher Muesli (stacked with fibre – this is going to make you feel fuller for longer)
- Porridge plus LSA (Linseed, Sunflower and Almond – fantastic to get your omega-3, protein, vitamins, minerals and fibre)
- Protein Shake (if you aren’t hungry in the morning and cant handle the thought of solid food or if you are on the go this is an excellent start rather than skipping the meal completely)
If you started your day with one of the above (most are quick and easy to make) you would get a massive big tick for meal #1 of the day. You may even find that you have more energy than you can handle and say good bye to those mid-morning tired slumps.
One thing to be aware of is the sugar content and high GI of most cereals out on the market. In general they are all pretty high (including the ‘healthy ones’) and the fibre content is low – even the ones which say high in fibre. Due to the fact that it has been processed in the first place nothing is going to beat the more natural source such as fruits/vegetables or that found in muesli. Take away note – if you are going with one of the cereals, either add a range of chopped up fruits to it or eat a piece (or two) as an additional extra. Put the bounce back into your breakfast! Enjoy 🙂